Sunday, July 19, 2015

Third-Party Perspective: An Interview About Fishing

Recently, I had the pleasure of meeting with an individual who centers his life and livelihood around fishing. To avid fisherman and occasional weekend warriors alike, he and his seaworthy vessel are well known throughout Westchester County, NY and Fairfield County, CT. Please read below for a summary of our conversation:

Please (briefly) introduce yourself.
My name is Captain Kevin Reynolds, of the Snow Goose 2, out of Port Chester, NY. I was born and raised on the Greenwich, Connecticut side of the Byram River, which separates NY and CT.

When did you first discover an enjoyment for fishing? What influenced/caused it?
I've always loved fishing, from the time my dad would take me out on Long Island Sound for flounder—and along the Byram River for sunfish.

What was your motivation for acquiring the Snow Goose II?
I bounced around doing various jobs, from cooking to carpentry. I always did well, but never really loved what I was doing. The last job I had before my fishing career began was Island Caretaker for the Greenwich YMCA. It was there that I met my wife-to-be, and realized we couldn’t raise a family on our current income. At that point, I decided to give fishing a shot. It started out quite well and has grown annually for 20 years now. Initially, we started with a 24' Carolina Skiff and progressed to our current 50' Gilliken: the Snow Goose 2.

What do you want people to experience from a trip aboard your fishing vessel? 
Western Long Island Sound is not necessarily a fishing mecca, so personality and service are key to maintaining a quality fishing business. My goal, for each trip, is to provide everyone aboard a safe, fun day on the water. Educating and helping others about fishing is also quite rewarding.

What concerns, if any, do you have regarding the charter fishing industry?
The biggest concern I have for the business of recreational charter fishing is the increase in regulation. State and federal government mandate acceptable fish sizes, fluctuating bag limits, and required equipment inventory for my vessel. Many of these policies are created by bureaucrats, with little or no experience with fish, fishing, or seamanship. Unfortunately, those with acquired knowledge and actual hands-on-experience tend to go unheard. One new regulation set to take effect in 2016 will cost me $20,000, on top of all other standard season-starting costs. No real explanation for it, as they just say it's better.

Your closing thoughts...
Regardless of what may come in this ever-changing industry; for me, it's still better than commuting to work by train....


Speaking with Captain Reynolds was an enriching experience. His views were particularly interesting and extremely credible, coming from someone with decades of experience in providing quality fishing opportunities for thousands of people. He had no idea that I'd previously been aboard the Snow Goose 2 (anonymously), but I speak from completely unbiased experience when I give it two thumbs-up. Consider viewing his website and perhaps even spending an afternoon out on the water with him and his crew. I'm confident you'd enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty interesting that you interviewed this man even though you've been on the Snow Goose 2. Looks like a beautiful boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great boat, Caroline. I saw everyone from the old timers to young kids have a blast out on the water. I'll surely take another trip on the Snow Goose 2.

      Delete