Friday, July 3, 2015

A Child's Joy of Fishing

I don't specifically recall the first time I went fishing or the first fish I ever caught, but for as long as I can remember, I've always enjoyed it. This is likely the result of my first fishing experience being a positive one, thus making a strong and lasting impression on my developing mind as I grew older. Children are very impressionable, as their innocence and lack of experience causes them to see the world as a place of magic and wonder. The way they are introduced to fishing can determine how they view it later on in their lives. The video below is a pleasant example of a father sharing this experience with his young son:


Yeah, I know; the kid is cute, but what I like most about this video is how consistent it is with a philosophy shared by many adult anglers on teaching kids to fish. The main points are:
  • Choose a day and time when the weather is pleasant.
  • Select a safe and serene environment where the child will be most comfortable.
  • Target species that are abundant, easy to catch, nice to look at, and safe to handle.
  • Once caught, encourage the child to engage the fish, appreciate it, and see it for the unique animal that it is.
  • Ask how he or she feels about the fish and the catch.
  • Express the importance of proper care and safety of the fish.
  • Encourage the child to release the fish back into the water.
The above video exhibits many, if not all of these points and is a great example of how to instill a positive feeling about fishing, in the mind of a child. Notice how joyful he sounds when he says "I got one." In wanting to name the fish, he views it as an individual being, deserving of an identity. As apprehensive as he is to touch the fish, once he finally does, he smiles saying "I touched him", and seems quite pleased with the connection. I particularly like the part where his dad tells him they're going to put the fish back in the water and he agrees. It was a fitting end to the fun short clip. 

Not to sound cheesy, but Michael Masser and Linda Creed were correct in claiming, "the children are our future / teach them well and let them lead the way." Fishing is an excellent activity for teaching children respect for wildlife and the environment, as well as pulling them away from their electronic devices and learning to appreciate the outdoors. Hopefully, they may continue the cycle with their own kids someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment